Trail Angels are vital to the success of the Annual Thru Hike. There are five trail angel stops at designated trailheads during the Thru Hike, and the participants look forward to seeing friendly face, a delicious spread of food, and cold beverages to quench their thirst.
Trail Angels must commit to providing food and drinks at one trailhead during one of the Annual Thru Hikes (TRTA will reimburse).
- Trail Angels must commit to serving thru hikers at the minimum of one trailhead during the Annual Thru Hike.
- Responsible for contributing a spread of food and drinks for the Thru Hikers (TRTA will reimburse)
- Bring food and supplies to trailhead and set up before hikers arrive
- Not limited to surprising participants at designated trailheads
- Provide a hand washing station at assigned trailhead
- Clean up thoroughly after hikers leave; all trash should be collected and no food should be on the ground (Leave No Trace Front Country Principles)
or (775) 298-4491.
Shuttle drivers are responsible for picking up participants and dropping them off at designated trailheads, mostly for the 165-mile Segment Hiking Programs. When interacting with participants drivers are courteous, friendly and respectful in order to provide the best customer service, while obeying all traffic laws.
- Sign up for a minimum of one shuttle during the summer months
- Check out van and/or truck keys from Director of Trail Use
- Inspect vehicle prior to and after using and fill out “Vehicle Inspection Form”
- Log vehicle mileage prior to and after driving TRTA vehicles
- Abide by all laws of the road, including but not limited to driving the speed limit, utilizing blinkers at turns, stopping at stop signs, etc.
- Represent TRTA in a professional manner on the road
- Plan route and driving time to arrive at the meeting place on time to keep hikes and programs on schedule
- Be courteous to other motorists, pedestrians and cyclists; drive with awareness
- Treat TRTA hike and program participants with respect, politeness and kindness
- Make sure all participants are in vehicle, seated and wearing seat belts
- Return vehicle to TRTA office and park in appropriate place; return keys
- Current driver’s license
- Clean driving record; TRTA will need driver’s license to run record
- Attentive to detail, courteous, professional, and committed to safety
or (775) 298-4491.